Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Here safe and sound!























Hi all!
I arrived safely on tuesday morning at like 1am after 33 hours of travelling (this includes the eight hours that I spent in New York). Needless to say I'm exhausted but running on a high of excitement.

I'm sorry for not posting anything but I've been so busy and am still suffering from jetlag. Today's the first day that I've had free to actually write properly. I'll give you all a break down of what's been hapenning over the last few days.

Monday- New York was phenomenal! Words cannot describe the energy and pulse of the city! Once I arrived at JFK I set out into the city with only a vague idea of what I was doing. I think for most of the ride into the city I was in a state of disbelief and only once I climbed up the subway stairs did I realise where I was. The first thing to hit me was the noise and then the heat! I walked up and down sixth and seventh avenue and ended up in the fashion district :) I stumbled into Bryant Park and it is by far my most favourite place in New York. Its like an oasis amongst the chaos and noise of the city. The park is surrounded by the most beautiful old architecture. That's another thing about New York; the architecture is beautiful. In fact all you can do is look up! I felt so small and tiny amongst the buildings and all the people. All in all New York is as fabulous as they say!

Tuesday- My lovely roommate collected me from the airport at 1am in the morning. Needless to say I was feeling a 'little' exhausted but on a high about finally arriving in Louisville. While I was in the Chicago airport I had a mini panic attack about getting to Louisville. It didn't help that my flight was delayed. But after resting up I started to explore Bellarmine. The campus has been really quiet because the only people here right now are the internationals and the athletes. Later we explored a suburb in Louisville called the Highlands. There we had some sushi and went for a walk in the park. Walking in the park felt like I was an extra in a movie. There were kids playing soccer with their mom's watching with their mini-vans and people jogging at like 8pm. That's so weird as at home it would be dark by then and people definitely don't run at night!

Wednesday- We had a welcome breakfast where we all officially met. Though we were all a little nervous we all warmed up and shared a little about ourselves and our countries. We all come from all over the world which is really exciting! Later on Wednesday I went to Walmart! OMG, its ridiculous and scary! I've heard things about middle America which I wasn't totally sure were true and while some are exaggerated; the level of excess is ridiculous. But I will say that an entire country should be judged on one store ;) Especially when there is so much that America has to offer.

Thursday- We had a scavenger hunt on one of the main streets very close to campus. Its called Bardstown road and its similar to High street in Grahamstown but BETTER! Rice, you would die for this street! My group won which was great and we all bonded together.

Later in the afternoon I went to Indiana which was only about a half an hour away where we had a typical southern meal and went on a hayride! Yip, I'm in the South now!
Later in the afternoon I went to Indiana which was only about a half an hour away where we had a typical southern meal and went on a hayride! Yip, I'm in the South now!

Friday to Sunday- We went to Crossroads which is similar to an American summer camp. All I can say after Crossroads is that if you like camp then Crossroads is for you. But if you're like me it's painful. That being said I had fun at the dance and at the campfire so all was not lost.


Monday- We went on a downtown tour of Louisville. Louisville is absolutely enchanting and parts of it are similiar to a Victorian city! I love it and can't wait to explore it properly!

So thats been my life so far for the past week! Exhausting, overwhelming and amazing!
I'm going to be better about blogging now!
Love you all!
S.
P.S My international friends are AMAZING! We're all like a family and its great having this support system so soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment