Thursday, August 20, 2009

First day of class

Today was the first day of class and I have to say that it was great to get back into a routine even though everything's new for me! My class schedule here is a lot more relaxed than back at Rhodes and hopefully my communications courses won't be as intense as journalism back home!

I only had two classes today but they were both very interesting in terms of seeing things from a new perspective. One of these was multicultural American Literature which looks at the theme of race within American literture written by Latino, Native American and black writers. Its refreshing to be able to explore this theme within a new culture and maybe generate new ideas concerning race. As you all know it gets to be an old topic in South Africa!

My second class was social inequality which was very enjoyable. I was nervous that as a South African I'd be called up on a lot to talk about what's going on in South Africa. I wasn't 'picked' on but part of me feels like that's why I'm here; to be an ambassador for South Africa and God has been amazing in generating conversations about South Africa with people. So I'll have to let you all know what happens!

Another reason why today was so good was because I felt as though I had started to bond with the university. I suddenly realised how great it actually is. I know this sounds weird as I've been here for a week but hardly anyone was here and we were stuck in orientation and just getting to know America never mind the university! So despite the fact that I stick out like a sore thumb (that'll be the next post; American fashion) I'm loving it!

Missing you all.
S.


My family here :)

No comments:

Post a Comment